Taking Steps Towards Your Dreams
We all have dreams.
What are you doing to make yours a reality?
There is no such thing as overnight success when it comes to dreams.
Rather, you reach them bit-by-bit and step-by-step.
“You don’t jump to your dreams. You make them happen step-by-step.” (Tweet this Quote)
Progress is made in small increments.
Here are 19 Steps to Get Closer to Your Dreams:
- Set Your Goals – Dreams are just in your mind. They don’t get done. Goals get done. They have tangible deadlines.
- Take a Step Every Day – As stated, you don’t get to your dreams in one jump. You must take a step forward every day. And the day after that.
- Be the Early Bird – Work when others are sleeping. Be the early bird. (Or a Night Owl if that is you…)
- Write a Plan – Writing your goals down has several benefits. It makes them more tangible. It also allows you to clarify them in ways not possible when they are only “in your mind.”
- Block Your Time – Make appointments with your goals. Block out your calendar before other obligations take up all your time.
- Short Term Goals – Long term goals are just too long. They are hard to track. They don’t adapt to life’s happenings. Keep your goals short. Once you finish one, then set the next one.
- Front and Center – Keep your goals front and center. Keep them visible. Carry a reminder with you. Or post a note where you will see it many times a day.
- Tell Others What You Are Doing – Set expectations with others as to what you are working towards. Even if they don’t support you, they will be more apt to not hinder you.
- Single Focus – Have one major goal at a time. A singular focus on your main objective is key to success.
- Just Start – Don’t wait until tomorrow. Don’t wait for the perfect time. (There isn’t one.) You can’t finish if you don’t start.
- Find a Mentor – Chances are there is someone you respect that has done what you want to do. Reach out and learn from those that have gone before you.
- Make it a Habit – Make your goals a habit. You will be more likely to stay on track if you make them part of your routine. Same place, same time each day.
- Find Your Strength – You are stronger than you think. You don’t know just how much effort you can give until you push yourself.
- Find the Time – You do have time. You might have to get creative. You might have to work early (see #4) or you might have to work during lunch. You can find time if you want to.
- Determine What Cost You Will Pay – Every dream has a cost. Whether it is in time, effort, sweat, or sacrifice. Spell out the cost of your dream and ensure that you are willing to pay the price.
- Change Your Habits – What habits will you need to change in order to make your dreams happen? Maybe you can’t stay out late or watch as much TV. What will you need to change?
- Learn a New Skill – What got you here, won’t necessarily get you there. What new skill could you learn that would help you reach the next level?
- Get Help – Everyone needs a little help at some point. Know when to call in your support network for assistance.
- Make Your Own Path – Those that reach their dreams usually don’t follow the normal path that everyone else does. Choose your own path. (Hint: It’s probably the one less traveled by…)
Question: What step will you take today to get closer to your dreams? You can leave a comment by clicking here.