Are you getting your work done?
Or do you sit around and wait for work to come to you?
(I have written previously about the danger of doing other’s people’s jobs.)
Not only does this behavior demonstrate a lack of initiative, but it is a bigger problem because if you are waiting for work to come to you… it means that you aren’t doing your own work.
Stop Waiting for Work to Arrive
Many people sit around waiting for things to arrive in their inbox or for their boss to come along and task them with something.
The ironic thing is that while you are waiting for work to arrive, you should be doing your work.
“Waiting for work to come to you means you aren’t doing your own tasks.”
Being reactionary to your work isn’t enjoyable. Nor is it efficient.
Rather than waiting for that next urgency to “pop-up,” you need to be hustling on getting your work done.
Here are 5 Reasons Proactivity is Key to Productivity:
- Waiting is Wasting time – Waiting for work is, by definition, a waste of time. You are passing time that you could be put to good use. Check your list and work those todos.
- Get Your Priorities Done – If you aren’t working your list, then you aren’t getting your most important work done. By being reactionary to the work at hand, you will end up putting your important tasks second.
- Work your List, Not Someone Else’s – To paraphrase something that Chris Brogan said, “Your email inbox is a list of other people’s priorities.” If you are waiting for the next email, you are waiting for someone else’s next task. Get out of your inbox and get to your work.
- Help Yourself, Then Others – This one may sound selfish on the surface. However, the truth is until you take care of your own responsibilities, you won’t be effective in helping others. Too often, those that are failing make things worse for themselves by trying to take on even more.
- The Early Bird Gets the Opportunity – As the saying goes, “Things may come to those who wait, but only those things left behind by those that hustle.” Delaying your work, means you aren’t hustling and by doing so you are going to miss opportunities. Be the early bird, when it comes to getting your work done.
Make Your Productivity Proactive
Proactivity is key to productivity.
Waiting for work to arrive on your desk or in your inbox isn’t accomplishing anything.
So, stop waiting for work to come to you and instead get busy working your todo list.Question: Are you guilty of waiting for work to arrive? What can you do to me more proactive in your productivity? You can leave a comment by clicking here.