Once your day gets going, it never seems to stop.
Busyness. Interruptions. Noise.
You feel like you can’t get a moment to think, time to plan, or even a moment to collect your thoughts.
If only you could find a place to stop and think about your day.
Finding Time to Think
It’s just run, run, run… all day long.
In the hurried pace of your day, you find it difficult to stop and think.
Wouldn’t things be easier if you could stop for a moment to plan what you are doing? Prioritize your work? And even decide what you shouldn’t be doing?
With noise and interruptions in the workplace, it can be hard to get time to think. Even harder to find a place to get some peace and quiet.
You need to ask, “Where can I find a place to think?”
Even in the busiest environments there are locations to get away and plan for a few minutes.
Here are 10 Places to Find Time to Think:
- In Your Car – The next time you are driving in your car, try the following experiment: Turn off your radio. Put your cellphone out of reach. (You shouldn’t be using it in the car anyway.) Then, listen to the silence. I bet you won’t be able to drive more than a quarter of a mile before you start to hear the thoughts in your head.
- Before Everyone Wakes Up – OK, this is a time, not a place, but the early morning before the world gets up is a great time to think for yourself. Whether it is just you, or you are getting up before the morning kid chaos, find time for yourself before the day begins.
- In Your Office – If you are fortunate enough to have an office for your job, shut the door and get some planning done. (Yes, you can shut the door.) Then when you are done, you can open the door and re-engage your team.
- Go Outdoors – Going for a walk outside is a great way to get some peace. You don’t have to go deep into nature. (Although that can be great, too). Many workplaces have walking paths or simply sidewalks where you can go for a quick walk and recoup your thoughts.
- At the Coffee Shop – Personally, I am not the Starbucks type. However, many people find isolation in the public noise of coffee shops. Find a table in a secluded corner and get some work done. (Or bring the coffee shop to you with an app like Coffitivity.)
- In Your Headphones – Use your headphones to create your own privacy. Shut out the noise. Play your favorite music. Even silent headphones can bring privacy and the expectation that you are not to be disturbed.
- In the Library – There is a reason why libraries have a “quiet rule.” Go there to find a silent place to think and plan. And if someone is making noise, you are justified in saying, “Shhhhh!”
- The Unused Conference Room – If your workplace has unused meeting space, make a meeting with yourself. Take advantage of empty meeting space to get work done.
- At Lunch – It’s nice to go out to lunch with the gang, but sometimes it’s helpful to book lunch with yourself. Feed your body and your mind with a lunch date alone to think and plan the rest of your day or week.
- The Secret Place – Every workplace has one. The secret room, hidden nook, or unknown alcove that only a few people know. Find your own secret corner to hide away and get some quiet time
A Place for Your Thoughts
You can find a place to take the time to think about and plan your day.
Depending on your circumstances or work place, you might need to get creative. However, getting some “think time” for even a few minutes can boost your productivity in a big way.
Today, go find your quiet place and take time to gather your thoughts and ideas.Question: Where do you go when you need time to plan and think? You can leave a comment by clicking here.