“Today is going to be a productive day.”
That’s what you tell yourself as you get out of bed in the morning.
However, before you know it, you are 15 minutes late leaving the house for work. You arrive having missed the beginning of your first appointment. Then, you realize that you forgot the paperwork for your afternoon errand.
How could you have been better prepared?
Planning for Your Day
Everyone has had one of those days when your day is already off the rails before it gets started.
Getting your day in order should be done each morning, before you leave the house.
“Leaving the house without planning your day, is a plan for a really bad day.” (Tweet Quote)
It’s about knowing in advance what you need to do, where you need to be, and having the materials/information to get your work done.
Here are 10 Productivity Questions That You Should Ask Yourself Every Single Day:
- What is on your TODAY list? You may have a todo list a mile long, but what are the tasks that you absolutely must get done today? This sub-list of tasks is your TODAY list. Know what’s on it.
- What is on your calendar today? What appointments and meetings do you have today? Do you have any time reserved for yourself or is your entire day already booked?
- What do you need to bring with you? Again, review your Today List and calendar to make sure you have the materials you need for your day.
- What is your number 1 task for the day? Simply put, what is your single most important task today. If you get only 1 thing done today, it will be this task. (Hint: Do it early and get it done.)
- What is one task that you could do today that you wouldn’t have? – Sometimes you just can’t get going. So do one low energy task. These extra steps make all the difference to feeling productive, which turns into being more productive.
- What are you doing that you shouldn’t be? – What are you doing that should be on someone else’s plate? Maybe it isn’t your task, or perhaps it is something you should be delegating.
- Where will you waste time today? You probably know where/when/what you will waste time on today. Think about this in advance. It could be the daily gossip session at work, a game on your phone, or surfing the web. What can you do to avoid these time wasters?
- What new habit do you need to practice (DO) today? You are what you do today. What habit do you need to do today (and every day?) Don’t put it off. Read that book, fit that workout in… Whatever yours is… get it done.
- What step toward your goals will you take today? BIG Goals are done day-by-day and step-by-step. Among all the hustle and bustle of the day, what step forward toward your goals will you take?
- What will you learn today? If you are not learning each day, you are becoming obsolete. What will you learn during the course of your day?
Ready for a Productive Day
When you are ready for your day, you’re in a position to be proactive instead of just reacting to what life throws in your path today.
Ask yourself these 10 questions each day… before you head out the door.
Question: Which productivity question do you need to answer today? You can leave a comment by clicking here.