You say you have goals.
Can you show them to me?
Are they written down with clear deadlines?
Or are your goals vague. Things that you hope to do someday.
Here are 10 questions you must answer to clarify your own goals.
Can You Answer These Questions About Your Goals?
Having goals is an important exercise in making progress in life.
Goals drive you to greater heights than you thought possible.
Some choose to live without goals and simply go where life takes them.
However, if you want to make your own path you must define your goals.
Here Are 10 Questions You Must Answer About Your Goals:
- Are They Written Down? – Writing your goals down is a magical act. It makes them real. It clarifies them, and helps bring definition and accountability to them.
- Are They Your goals? – Before you pursue them, make sure that your goals are truly your own. Or are they goals that have been put upon you by expectations of your family, job, or society?
- Do They Have a Deadline? – Goals without deadlines are like a race without an end. You need a finish line to define your goal and when you will accomplish it by. (You can always adjust later… see #7.)
- What is the Cost and Are you Willing to Pay It? – Every goal has a cost. Whether it is time, money, or sweat. Make sure you are willing to pay the price to achieve your goal.
- What Help Will You Need to Accomplish Your Goals? – Truly great goals require us to go beyond ourselves. Every successful person learned from someone else. Plan in advance how you will get the assistance you need.
- Are You Focused on Your Goal? – Many people fall into the trap of unfocused goals. Or perhaps, they have too many goals at once. You must have laser focus on your big goal. It must be front-and-center in your life. It must get constant attention.
- Are Your Goals Adaptable? – Life changes. You can’t control that. So, your goals must be adaptable. This is not to be used as an excuse at the first sign of difficulty. Adaptable goals change, instead of break, when life throws you a curve.
- Do Your Goals Stretch Your Limits? – If your goal is to do something that you have already done before, then you will get the same results. Your goals should stretch your abilities. That is how new capabilities and limits are reached.
- Do Believe in Your Goals? – More than anyone else, you have to believe in your goals. There will be critics, doubters, and people who want to see you fail. Don’t listen to them. Listen to the inner voice that drives you.
- What Did You Do Today? – You must act on your goals every single day. It is not an optional activity. If you truly have the determination and focus to reach your goals, you will not only think, but act on them every single day.
Know Your Goals
Having goals is important to your success.
You need to know exactly what you want to accomplish and how you will do it.
And of course, knowing your goals is half the battle.
The other half is up to you.
Question: Can you answer the 10 questions about your goals?