Do you have a Someday Maybe list?
Most of us do.
However, the problem for most people is that they never get to the items on this list.
How many things on your Someday Maybe list have been there for over a month?
3 months? 6 months? A year or more?
When is Someday?
Someday is the day after tomorrow.
It never comes.
That is the danger of Someday Maybe lists. Most of us never get to them.
In fact, by putting tasks on them, we are dooming them to a “never happening” status.
“The problem with Someday Maybe lists is
…that Someday never comes.
Maybe we should just call them Someday Never lists.”
Tasks go there to hang out forever. Some go there to die.
We never get to the things on these lists.
Maybe we should call them something else.
Dealing with Your Someday Never List
Are you keeping a Someday Never list?
You put tasks on your Someday list, and then you go back to daily life. Often, never to return to them.
Here are a few tips to keep your Someday list in check:
- Review it Regularly – All todos should be kept visible. Knowing what is on your list drives awareness and priority. Most people never review their Someday list. They pile up lots of great ideas and goals there, but they never get to Someday. Look at yours regularly.
- Don’t be Afraid to Cross Things Off – Some people are afraid to work with their Someday Maybe list because they do not want to cross things off of it. That is part of the purpose of it, to hold items that are not ready yet. Don’t be hesitant to change your mind and delete some of these items.
- Move Things to Today – The issue that many deal with is that things never “return” from their Someday list. When appropriate, make sure you move things from your Someday list to your today list. Get them back in your daily activities when the time is right.
- Call Your Shot – Telling people about your future tasks and goals is a great way to hold yourself accountable. Want to make sure those future tasks get done? Tell your friends and family what you will accomplish. Call your shot and be bold.
- Beware Time Sensitive Issues – Look out for things sneaking on to your Someday list that do not belong there. When we procrastinate, it is tempting to add things to our Someday list that belong on our todo list. Watch out for time sensitive issues. For example, that doctor’s appointment or that oil change should not be hanging out on your Maybe list.
Shifting the Strategy
Don’t let your Someday Maybe list become a neutral zone from which nothing ever returns.
Review it regularly. Make sure you bring tasks back to the current tense.
Maybe we are setting the wrong mindset by calling them Someday Maybe lists.
Let’s call them Future Task Lists.
This puts them in the future tense, yet gives the vision that they are actually things we are going to do.
So, what is on your Future Task List?
And when are you going to do it?
Do you keep a Someday Maybe list? Do you ever get to the tasks on it?