Right now, something is sneaking up on you.
Something you are aware of, yet ignore from day-to-day.
It is catching up.
And it is getting faster.
You think it will not get you, but I am here to tell you that it will.
And it is going to hit you when you least expect it.
What are you putting off that is going to catch you?
Ignoring What is Behind You
What is sneaking up on you? It is something that you continually put off.
The scary part is that you are probably aware of the issue.
In a way, you are condoning it by not addressing it.
It is a shortcoming that you choose to put off. Disregard, even.
Here are some of the most common things that people ignore that catch up to them later:
- Cleaning – Did you leave that there? Did you put off cleaning up that mess until you had more time? Before you know it, your cleaning job has gone from a few minutes to many hours.
- Physical Fitness – People do not get out-of-shape “overnight.” It takes years of inactivity, poor habits, and improper diet. Yet, people let it sneak up on them until it is a huge burden to get out from under.
- Learning – What have you been putting off learning? Something you need to advance your career? Learning a new skill can be hard, but not having that knowledge will be even harder on you down the road.
- Things With Penalties – Are you putting off paying those bills? Or finishing that task that will cost you more money later? Late fees, credit scores, and even the law are waiting to catch up to you.
- Tasks, Todos, and Projects – People complain that that they have too much “on their list.” That they don’t have enough time. However, it is usually an accumulation of tasks that is overwhelming them.
Each of these items can be a lurking monster in your life.
You know it is there. And that it is stalking you.
It is going to blindside you when you least expect it.
Pow!!! It is going to tackle you from behind.
And probably at the most inopportune time.
Avoiding the Tackle
Why do we ignore these seemingly mundane issues in our life?
After all, each one addressed a day-at-a-time is usually a simple item to be overcome.
But left unchecked, each can result in a serious problem or worse.
How do we avoid being blindsided?
Here are some tips to help you avoid the things sneaking up on you:
- Be Aware of Your Todo List – If you are not tracking your tasks, you are going through life blind-folded. Keeping your obligations front and center will let you avoid things sneaking up on you.
- Bit by Bit – Is there an elephant in the room? As I previously wrote, eat it 10 minutes at a time. Whittle down even the toughest issues. Prevent disaster from sneaking up on you… inch-by-inch.
- A Regular Schedule – A good way to keep routine items from slipping by is to have them on a schedule. Is “working out” getting past you? Put it on a strict schedule. You know you will be at the gym 4 times a week and when. (This is why personal trainers are successful!)
- Preventative Maintenance – Preventative maintenance is just that. Maintenance that you do to prevent a breakdown. Fix things up before they fail. Is your filing system backed up? Fix it before you have a crisis and need to find that “one” piece of paper.
- Prepare for the Unknown – Don’t want to get surprised by trouble? Be ready for it. What have you been putting off that you could prepare for, now? Have you been waiting to update your emergency/insurance info in your car? Do it now… before an accident strikes.
Look Over Your Shoulder
Take a look over your shoulder.
Be aware of what is sneaking up on you.
Better yet, do something about it.
Avoid that tackle that you know is coming.
Tomorrow may be too late. Do it today!
What is sneaking up on you? Are you going to let it catch you?