Today is an anniversary. Sort of.
One year ago today was the first blog post I wrote online about TMN.
It wasn’t much. Just a few quick thoughts. (You can see it here.)
But, it was the start. It was action. And it got me going.
Often we talk about what we can get done today.
But, what could you accomplish in a year?
What Can Happen In a Year?
The TMN project started long before it went online. It actually started as a book effort. (Maybe it will be a book again someday.)
But, as with many endeavors, momentum and resistance kept me from getting it going.
I finally found that blogging would be a great bite-sized way for me to share the project. So, I started.
I had some early struggles:
- Staying on a consistent schedule
- Learning the ropes of social media
- Dealing with the technical aspects of setting up a website
- Inital concerns about using my name on the blog
It was not a steady start. It wasn’t until early 2010 that TMN really hit its stride. But, I stayed the course… and some amazing things have happened over the past year:
- TMN’s audience has grown from less than 10 to over 1200 Facebook fans. Almost 13000 Twitter followers. I have watched as traffic went from nothing to growing exponentially.
- I had the opportunity to learn from some of the current masters: Chris Brogan and Leo Babauta. (I even got Chris to do a guest post for TMN… read it here.)
- My first guest post was featured on Dumb Little Man. Not a bad place to start. (See it here.)
- I went from knowing nothing about social media to being sought out by people and businesses getting started.
- I have made friends with many people around the world. Their advice and support have been key to TMN’s success.
Where does it go from here? I am not sure. But, I cannot wait to see where I am next year.
What Could You Do In a Year?
So, I tell you all this… so that I can ask, “What could you do in a year?”
In a year you could:
- Learn a New Skill – It is simple to start a hobby, but it takes time and practice to get good at anything. In a year, you could take a new skill from zero to expert.
- Get In the Best Shape of Your Life – People often want to see instant results from working out. However, it it took years for you to get into the shape you are currently in, it is going to take time to change your condition. In a year, you could be in the best shape of your life.
- Change Careers to Something You Enjoy – Changing jobs does not happen overnight. Changing careers can be much harder. Sometimes, you need new skills. Sometimes you have to consider steps back to move forward. In a year, you could be in a new job and career that you enjoy.
- Make a Difference – What cause have you wanted to support? Or maybe it someone’s life that you wanted to positively impact. What could your accomplish in a year’s time?
What’s Holding You Back?
So, what have you been resisting starting? What is stopping you?
Start it today. Commit.
There is some bad news: It will not happen overnight. Your progress will be slow. It will not be easy.
But, in a year… you will be amazed at how far you have come.
Where could you be in a year? What have you been resisting starting?
Too Many Tools In Your Toolbox – TMN’s 1st Blog Post!