Do you ever find yourself searching for that one note that you know you wrote down somewhere?
Perhaps, it is a last-minute frantic search for a piece of information that you need. Or you have been endlessly searching for days for that missing document.
You need to keep your notes in one place.
Where are Your Notes?
A complete time management system includes many productivity tools. One of the most important of which is a good note-taking tool.
You need the ability to capture notes and pieces of information. Equally as important as capturing the information is the ability to recall or finding specific notes at a later time.
A common trap is to write notes everywhere. Notebooks, pads of papers, Post-Its, and so on. This leads to too many tools, and a very complex note-taking system.
‘If you keep all of your notes in one place, then you only have one place to search later.”
Simply put, the more places you take notes… the more places you have to look later when you need a piece of information.
A better solution is to record all of your notes in one place, one tool. Not only does this simplify your system but it makes you more efficient both in writing notes and retrieving them.
Here are 5 Reasons You Should Always Keep Your Notes in One Place:
- Reduced Cutter – If your desk is covered in notebooks, pads, and loose pieces of paper, then you are taking notes in too many places. Having one note-taking tool reduces physical clutter and helps you keep your workplace clean.
- One Place to Note – You don’t have to carry multiple tools or notebooks. As well, you don’t have to even think about which tool to pick up when you need to record something. You have one place where you record important information.
- Easier to Search – When you have one notebook, it is easier to search for notes. You don’t have to recall “where you wrote that down.” As well, you can have one method of organizing and search your notes. (Made even easier if you are using an electronic method/app.)
- You Will Take More Notes – Note-taking is a skill. The more you do it, the better you get at knowing when to capture something important for later. With one place for your notes, you will be more proficient with your note-taking tool.
- One Standard for Your Notes – With one place for your notes, you will quickly find that you develop one format for your notes. It doesn’t matter if it is electronic or paper-based, you will begin to document information in a standard look and feel.
One Place for Your Notes
The fewer places you take notes, the fewer places you have to search when you need them again.
Choose the solution that works best for you.
Whichever note-taking tool you choose, always keep your notes in one place.Question: Where do you take notes? Are you falling into the trap of using multiple tools and systems? You can leave a comment by clicking here.