In your search for productivity, are you constantly changing up your game?
Always trying new techniques, tools, and the latest gadgets?
This constant state of flux can actually make you less productive.
Perhaps, you need more of the “same” to get things done today.
Too Much Change
We like to talk about change.
However, change for change sake is not necessarily progress.
If you are constantly changing your time management tools, routines, and habits, you can prevent yourself from ever reaching a steady efficient state.
This concept not only applies to individuals, but also to businesses. They mistake change for improvement, and that is not always the case.
“Change for change sake does not always result in progress.”
And while I am a big advocate of leaving your comfort zone, too much change can result in confusion, disorganization, and lack of competence.
It is regular proven actions and known tools that help you get things done efficiently and effortlessly.
Stay Productive with the “Same” Routines
The word insanity is often explained as, “Doing the same things, and expecting different results.”
Yet, on the other side, if you know what is working… maybe you need to do more of the same.
“When you have something that works, sometimes you need more of the same.”
Do you have a daily routine that gets you going? Or habits that guide your day?
If you know what gets you “in the zone,” then do more of that.
Here Are Some Tips to Help You Be More Productive with More of the “Same:”
- Same Time – You body has an internal clock that always knows what time it is. Doing activities at the same time can train your body to be ready to write, workout, or whatever you need to accomplish. Your body can learn when it is time to be “in the zone.”
- Same Place – Where you are productive is just as important as when. If you have a location that works for you, make sure you go there. It could be your private office, a coffee shop, or even just a meeting space that gets you working.
- Same Music – In a recent interview, I admitted something that I don’t think I have previously said publicly. One of my closely held productivity secrets is that I have one music mix that I do all of my creative writing to. It is the same playlist that I have used for almost 5 years. When I have trouble getting started, this music always gets my mind and actions on track. (No… you can’t have my playlist. :P)
- Same Tools – Tried and true tools are best. Ones that you are familiar with and skilled at utilizing. Constantly switching to new tools, apps, or software can bring inefficiency and lack of skill in using them.
- Same Rituals – If you have personal rituals that motivate you, keep them going. Build a streak of the actions and behaviors that drive you.
Stick to Your “Same” Productive Habits
If you have a routine that works in keeping you productive, then stick with it.
As well, don’t change to the latest gadgets just to have the latest shiny toy. You will find yourself in a constant state of flux, never reaching your true maximum efficiency.
Sometimes, more of the same is exactly what you need to be more productive.Question: What are some of your “same” routines that keep you productive? Please share in the comments. You can leave a comment by clicking here.