Listening to music motivates me.
It also drives my work and productivity.
Sometimes it makes all the difference between a sluggish day and a highly productive one.
My headphones provide me with isolation as well as motivational music.
When I really need to get work done, the headphones go on.
Do you use headphones at work?
Do Headphones Help You Get Things Done?
I wear headphones at work when I need to turn off the distractions and get down to business.
My headphones prevent interruptions while providing a personal work environment.
Headphones can be your ticket to your own personal workspace.
Whether listening to the latest pop music or your favorite movie soundtrack…
Headphones allow you to create your own “Work Zone” amidst the office chaos.
Now, most people will agree that music can be a motivator and drive you.
However, when it comes to the headphones in the workplace, there is often quite a debate.
Some workplaces are not headphone-friendly. Some managers are opposed to their workers using headphones. They claim it is anti-social. Or it prevents them from reaching their employees.
Others, recognize the benefits and encourage workers to “Zone In” to their work.
Some environments are too loud and chaotic to be conducive to concentration and intense work.
Many workers put headphones on for just that reason. To isolate themselves and overcome poorly designed workspaces.
Open floor-plans are often touted for collaboration. But, they are not the best for creative work or deep thought.
So, employees resort to their headphones and music.
Before you do, here are a few tips to consider:
- Ensure Your Employer Is Onboard - Some employers are more headphone friendly than others. Before you put on your headphones, make sure that your boss is OK with it.
- Limit the Volume – Keep your music at a reasonable volume. Not only will your ears be better for it, but your work neighbors won’t be disturbed by your music.
- Be Safe – Whenever wearing headphones, make sure you are safe. It’s never a good idea to wear headphones in an environment where they could impact safety.
Headphones On, Music Up
If your job is acceptable to headphones, then by all means bring your music and create your own personal work environment.
Tuning into your music will perk you up, as well as help you stay on task.
Here are 5 Reasons That Your Should Use Headphones at Work:
- Set Expectations That You Are Occupied – When you put your headphones on, you are setting an expectation that you are working or engrossed in deep thought. People will be less inclined to interrupt you when your headphones are on.
- Create Your Own Work Zone – If you work in a noisy or busy environment, putting your headphones on can be your ticket your own private “in the ZONE.” Tune into your music and turn off the office chaos soundtrack.
- Motivate Yourself – Music can be a great motivator. In addition to isolating you, your music can serve to pump up your energy and mood. Keep your inspirational music close at hand. What’s your power song?
- Prevent Distractions/Interruptions – When you are concentrating on a tough task, the last thing you need is to be distracted by the latest hallway chat about politics or sports scores. Let your music eliminate distractions and keep you on task.
- Choose Your Own Attitude – Whether your attitude needs a quick pick up, or even a few minutes of calm, let your music set your mood. A few minutes of peaceful music can be a great break from the hustle and bustle of the day.
Pump Up Your Music… and Productivity
Music can be a great motivator.
Headphones can be a great tool for getting your work done.
Let your music drive your productivity.
So, put on the headphones. Turn up the music.
And get some work done today.
Question: Do you use headphones at work? If so, how do they improve your work?