Meetings are one of the biggest time wasters in most companies.
Yet, much of this pain is self-inflicted.
Poorly run meetings lead to wasted time, de-moralized employees, and loss of productivity.
Are meetings in your company run efficiently?
Meetings Are Not Easy
It would seem that holding a meeting is easy.
Pick a time/location, choose some colleagues, and send out the invites.
What could go wrong?
Yet, running an effective and efficient meeting is anything but easy.
Most companies don’t do meetings right. They end up being time wasters and incur tremendous costs ranging from payroll to productivity to employee morale.
Running an effective meeting is difficult and requires preparation and skill.
Here are 31 Ways That Your Meetings are Inefficient:
- They don’t start them on time.
- They don’t end on time.
- They are held in a bad location.
- The wrong attendees are invited.
- There are too many attendees.
- No decisions are made.
- Follow-up action is not tracked.
- The meeting is recurring for no reason.
- There is no agenda.
- The agenda is not adhered to.
- No individual accountability. (The group did it. Or didn’t do it.)
- Scheduled for longer time than needed.
- No one prepares in advance.
- You are using a PowerPoint presentation of more than 10 slides.
- You are using Powerpoint at all.
- Inappropriate things are allowed to be said because it is “behind closed doors.”
- One person is allowed to dominate the conversation either by personality or title.
- Disagreements or debates are not allowed. Everyone is expected to agree and say “Yes.”
- People “work” on other tasks during the meeting.
- Individuals are allowed to “play” on their phones, iPads, and laptops during the meeting.
- Facts are not questioned. In other words, whatever is said is accepted as true.
- Meetings are mandatory.
- People are allowed to attend who don’t participate.
- Food is part of the meeting.
- Scheduled at the last minute.
- Scheduled with no regard to conflicts of attendees’ existing calendars.
- Canceled at the last minute.
- Team members are allowed to bully others during the meeting.
- The meeting starts over when late attendees finally arrive.
- Half of the meeting is spent fighting technology problems.
- The meeting topic could have been a simple email to the team.
Make Your Meetings Better
Take a look at how your organization conducts meetings.
Which of these are common issues in your company?
Don’t let bad meetings ruin your day and productivity.
Make your meetings better today.Question: What is the biggest meeting mistake in your company? You can leave a comment by clicking here.