It’s a really long and busy day. Meetings, emails, a looming deadline.
You are working hard. But somehow, it’s just not enough.You are feeling tired, stressed and it’s becoming harder to focus, none of which is helping your productivity. Happens to all of us, right?
Work Smarter, Not Harder
Isn’t there a smarter way? Changing a few habits can help motivate and recharge you, and in just a few minutes.
Here are 7 Habits to Supercharge your Productivity:
1. Take a quick break. Our bodies are not designed to work at peak performance for extended periods without breaks. After around 90 minutes, our heart rate, hormonal levels, muscle tension and brain-wave activity begin to decline and our bodies naturally crave rest. If you are working for 3 hours at a stretch, you will actually get less done. Productivity is not about being busy, it’s about getting more done. Taking a 5 minute break every 60 minutes will recharge your batteries for the next 60.
2. Exercise for 5 minutes. You might be exercising in the morning or evening. But do you exercise at work? Just 5 minutes of light exercise will pump up your energy, give you a fresh burst of confidence and make your creativity flow! Exercising also releases endorphins, making you happier, and boosting your motivation to tackle the next 60 minutes.
3. Have a healthy snack. Do you skip meals, or have only 3 large meals a day? This means that at some point of the day the sugar levels in your blood will fall – affecting your energy and your emotions. Having an apple halfway between meals can make you feel energetic and back in the game.
4. Breathe deeply. Hectic days usually come with a truckload of stress! A simple way to reduce stress is to take 10 -15 slow deep breaths. Try to focus your attention on your breathing only and do not let thoughts interfere. Making this a regular habit will keep stress outside the door!
5. Take a 5 minute vacation to Hawaii. No, you don’t need a teleporter! You just need to lean back in your chair, close your eyes and visualize yourself in a gorgeous location. Listen to the waves, feel the sand beneath your feet, smell the sea! And your stress… what stress?
6. Listen to a ‘Power Song.’ Do you have a ‘Power Song’? A song that has the power to magically lift your mood? Within 3-4 minutes the right song can inspire and motivate you to take on the next challenge on your To-Do list. Keep a playlist of your ‘Power Songs’ handy as rocket fuel for your motivation.
7. Take a quick nap. Napping is one of the easiest ways to supercharge your productivity. Companies like Google and Huffington Post have ‘energy pods’ where employees take quick naps. John D Rockefeller and Winston Churchill swore by naps as a vital productivity habit! How do you nap for just 5 minutes? It becomes easy once you develop a habit of falling asleep quickly. Until then, try taking a 15 minute nap.
Try it Today
Those hectic days will keep coming back. But you have the means to sail through them far more easily.
You don’t need an hour to supercharge your productivity. You just need 5 minutes.
Pick the habit which looks simplest. Try it today!Question: What 5 minute activities could you add to the list? You can leave a comment by clicking here.