Do you have goals? Do you write them down?
Or do you simply go through each day as if it were its own?
Goals are important to lay the path to success and to lift you above ordinary.
If you don’t set goals, you are settling for whatever life brings your way.
The Goals vs. Zen Debate
Recently, there seem to be two conflicting opinions in the great “Goals” debate.
On one side, you have those who think you should set goals and strive each and every day to achieve them.
On the contrary, is the zen-like view that you should not set goals. Instead, you should just do. And go through each day in a deliberate manner.
I love the action-orientation (just do!) and the “enjoy the journey” message of the second viewpoint.
However, that is about as far as I go with the “no goals” path.
I am firmly in the “have goals and achieve them” camp.
If you don’t have goals, you are simply going with the flow.
You end up with whatever life decides to bring your way.
Not having goals is a recipe for mediocrity.
The “non goals” crowd might counter that you can’t control life.
That is not my point.
None of us can control the river of life. But, you don’t have to be driftwood either.
Sometimes you have to determine your own destination.
And sometimes you have to swim upstream to do it.
Setting goals is about looking beyond the day.
It’s about going out and getting what you want.
Goals Lift You Above the Day-to-Day
Goals are intended to motivate you.
They are there to inspire you beyond normal.
Goals lift you above normal day-to-day occurrences.
If you simply go through the daily motions, you risk not being able to see beyond today.
Here are 6 Reasons Why You Need Goals to Be Successful:
- No Finish Line – Dreams without a goal are just that… dreams. Like a task without a deadline, dreams without a finish line don’t get done. Goals provide that finish line so that you know where you are going and when you get there.
- Provide Clarity – Goals clarify your vision and specify your destination. Similar to #1, you can’t get there if you don’t know where where is. By the way, you can change your goals. Too often, people avoid goal-setting because they are afraid of being “locked in.”
- Don’t Be Driftwood – I am a big believer that you make your own destiny in life. You may be riding the river of life, but be the captain of your own ship. If you go with the flow, you may enjoy the ride or you may end up on the rocks. Have a say in the matter.
- No One is Going to Give It to You. – Many people who don’t have goals are often waiting for life to “give it to them.” It may be a promotion, a new relationship, or simply a better existence. Don’t wait for life to provide it, go out and get it!
- You Are Stronger Than You Think - Goals help you stretch yourself beyond normal. Some people live their entire lives without knowing their limits. You are stronger than you think, set goals that test yourself and exceed your self-set limits.
- Winning Begets Winning - Winning feels good. It just does. Completing a goal feels great. Winners keep winning, and once you achieve one goal you lift yourself even closer to the next.
Goals Lead to Success
Set your goals today. Write them down. Tell others about them.
Let your goals lift you above the day-to-day.
You will never know how far you can go until you try.
Don’t settle for ordinary… make your goal extraordinary!
Question: Do you believe in setting goals or do you prefer no goals?