Last week I read a post on the Harvard Business blog entitled, “Less-Confident People Are More Successful.”
Its premise was that people with low self-confidence work harder and thus, are more successful.
I strongly disagree with this idea.
So much so, that I thought I would write the counter view.
Today, I want to discuss the reasons why confidence leads to success.
Lack of Confidence Leads to Inaction
The post referenced was written by Tomas Chamorro-Premuzic. I was not the only one who objected with the concept, as many of the comments voiced similar dissent.
Less confidence does not lead to success.
To the contrary, it leads to holding back.
It leads to shyness. Inaction. And often, missed opportunities.
Lack of confidence results in inaction and not standing up for oneself.
It results in missed chances and setting the bar too low.
Believing in yourself is what allows you to rise up and reach your potential.
Confidence In Yourself
When I speak of confidence, I am not talking about blind arrogance. Those that are overly confident fall into yet another category.
However, I am referring to the self-confidence needed to believe in one’s own skills, goals, and ability to succeed.
When you believe in yourself you are more likely to take action. To stand up and seize the moment. And to persevere long after those who doubt themselves.
Here are 10 Reasons That Self-Confidence Leads to Success:
- The Drive to Start Things – Confident people start things. They are not shy about striking out on a new idea even when those around them are still pondering it.
- The Ability to Stand Up for Oneself – Confidence allows you to stand up for yourself in a fair and consistent manner. Otherwise, you may find yourself unheard or unfairly treated.
- The Ability to Say No – Confident people have the ability to say “No” where appropriate. They do not take on unnecessary or inappropriate work or obligations.
- The Ability to Say Yes – And at the same time, confident individuals say “Yes” to opportunity. They do not miss new options because they are shy. I have seen individuals’ pass up opportunities (even promotions) because they didn’t think they were “worthy.”
- Confidence Overcomes Fear – Lack of confidence can lead to paralysis from fear. Fear of failure. Fear of what others think. Fear of the unknown. To succeed, you need the confidence to face and overcome your fears.
- Believe In Themselves – Self-confidence means believing in yourself. Henry Ford said, “Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t — you’re right.” He was right.
- Set the Bar High Enough – Confident individuals set the bar high and aim high. Lack of confidence leads to weak goals, setting the bar too low, and mediocre results.
- Stretch Your Limits – Confidence lets you know your limits and test them. By stretching your limits you increase them. You are stronger than you think.
- Confidence Asks Questions – Confidence allows you to ask questions, even when others are silent. Confidence even lets you “ask for the job.”
- Believe In Winning – Confident people believe in success. And more importantly, they believe in their ability to succeed.
Believing in Success
Confidence leads to success.
Believe in yourself. Believe in your skills.
And most importantly, believe in your ability to succeed.
Question: What do you think? Which side of this concept do you side with?
60 thoughts on “10 Reasons Why Confidence Leads to Success”
Comments are closed.