Today’s checklist is inspired by “10 Things To Stop Doing Now… To Get More Done!”
Here are 10 things that I am not going to do today…
10 Things Not To Do Today
- Second Guess Decisions - Few decisions cannot be changed later if needed. Better to take action that wallow in inaction.
- Waste Time at the Proverbial Water-cooler - Some people waste a large percentage of their day “chatting it up” in the workplace. Instead, get your work done, and get out.
- Check Email 50 Times - I love it when someone asks, “Did you get my email?” Um, when did you send it? “Like 10 minutes ago.” No. No, I didn’t. Check email periodically when it makes sense in your schedule. And turn off those new mail dings and notifications.
- Answer the Phone - I won’t answer the phone while in the middle of something, meeting with someone else, or especially if I don’t know who is calling.
- Wait For the Perfect Plan - A good plan now, always beats a perfect plan next week. Circumstances are never going to be perfect. Don’t wait. (See #1)
- Attend Unnecessary Meetings – Meetings are the single biggest time-waster in the workplace. Practice the “right to decline” when you do not need to be in attendance.
- Work During Meetings – I will check my tech at the door during meetings. No open laptops. No phones or tablets. And no, you can’t work during my meeting either.
- Put If Off – When it comes to the tasks I don’t want to do, I will adopt a “Just Do It Now” attitude. Do those unsavory tasks early in the day and get them out-of-the-way.
- Take On Unnecessary Tasks – I will say “No” where appropriate to tasks that are outside my domain. After all, you can’t get your work done if you are doing everyone else’s job.
- Start Before I Finish – I will complete tasks to done, before starting new ones. Better to have finished the few important ones, that to have started lots of little ones.
Question: What’s on your “not to do” list today?