Trying to get organized?
Where you do you start?
Many people ask me this simple question.
So today, here are 5 areas of your life to get in order.
Or if feel you are already organized, maybe you’ll want to double-check these areas.
Where to Look for Organization
When people tell me they are organized, I challenge them to look at a few areas.
The first one may be a surprise: your car.
Take a look at the cleanliness of your car.
It is a good thumb-rule of your overall efficiency and organization.
Is it full of rubbish? Papers? Etc.? Are there things in the trunk that have been there for years?
If your car is a mess, chances are that you are accepting clutter and disorganization in other areas of your life.
5 Areas of Your Life To Organize
If you are trying to get organized, here are 5 Areas to Start With Today:
- Your Car – OK, I already mentioned this one. However, when I ask some people about their car, they freak out. Why are our cars so sacred? Your car is your transient home between work, play, and errands. How are you maintaining it? It is a good thumb-rule for your overall organization. What is in your car? And how long has it been there? Make time to regularly clean out your car. Weekly is a good starting timeframe.
- Your Work Area – Despite excuses to the contrary, a cluttered workspace does not indicate productivity. How messy is your desk? Clean up your immediate work area and you will not only be able to find what you need, but have more room to get things done. A good tip: have a large trash can.
- Your Todo List – It is ironic when people say that they are “too busy” yet they don’t have an organized list of what they need to do. If you don’t have a list, how do you know what you are supposed to be doing? You will be constantly spinning your wheels and jumping from one urgent task to the next. Have the discipline to keep an accurate todo list and better yet, keep it where you can see it.
- Your Mail – Do you know where your mail is? Were there bills in there? Have one place that you put it and process it. Immediately throw out junk mail and catalogs. Physical mail clutters up many people’s homes. However, email can also be overwhelming. Keep both in check and try to minimize the amount of mail you receive.
- Your Job -Keeping your job in check is very important. Are you the master of your duties or are your constantly in a state of chaos? If you aren’t happy in your job, you probably won’t be happy in your personal life. Know your responsibilities so that you can get your work done, and keep yourself from doing everyone else’s work. Meet deadlines and stay one step ahead of your boss. Being organized in your job can dramatically reduce the stress in other areas of your life.
Organization Brings Efficiency
If you are trying to get organized, these five areas are good places to start.
You will find that if you get some of the key areas of your life in order, that other areas will start to fall in place.
So, start today and get your organization in order.
What areas of your life do you need to organize?